Availability: Available for Order
PowerSpout LH - Low Head
Ruggedly built 1500W kaplan hydro turbine. Comes with all parts and tools for field assembly.
(More pictures and Video below, scroll down!)
Common PowerSpout LH and LH Pro products. All LH and LH Pro products connect via MPPT regulators or grid-tied inverters. There are nodirect battery options available.*
- LH150 and LH150Pro – use with MPPT regulator rated for up to 150 VDC charging 12/24 VDC batteries. Cable voltage may be as low as 50 VDC.
- LH250 and LH250Pro – use with MPPT regulator rated for up to 250 VDC charging 12/24/48 VDC batteries. Cable voltage may be as low as 80 VDC.
- LH400 and LH400Pro – use with MPPT regulator or grid connect inverter rated for up to 400 VDC. Cable voltage may be as low as 140 VDC.
Please contact us to make sure you get the right model before you order.
*Must purchase a MPPT Charge Controller with this product, we suggest The Kid.
- Dimensions: Diameter 12 inches x length 42 inches (300mm x 1050mm)
- Output power: up to 1500 Watts/turbine
- Modular installations: up to 15 kW with multiple turbines
- Propeller turbine (Kaplan type)
- Generator: 10.5 in (270mm) Smart Drive Permanent Magnet Generator (PMG) 3 phase
- Rectification: 100 amp air cooled rectifier
- Generator efficiency: > 70% and up to 80% in ideal conditions
- Casing: LDPE plastic case 3mm thick
- Shaft: 1 inch (25mm) stainless steel
- Bearings: 6005
- Warrantee: 2 years extendable to 10 years
- Static head range: 3 – 16 feet (1 to 5m)
- Maximum flow/turbine: 880 gpm (55 l/s)
- Minimum flow/turbine: 400 gpm (25 l/s)
- Off-grid cable voltage up to 250 V DC, operatingvoltage 80-120 V DC
- Grid-tied cable voltage up to 400 V DC, operatingvoltage 160-200 V DC
- Weight packed LH Pro: 69 pounds (31kg)
- Weight packed LH: 51 pounds (23kg)
- Free Shipping!
There are six versions of PowerSpout available to suit different situations. The first step in determining which PowerSpout product is right for your situation is determining your flow rate and head drop for your flow, then using the graph and tables below to find which range you are in. Once you have determined the range of which your flow resides, you can start selecting your model! Please Contact us if you have any questions!
- PowerSpout PLT. This model is great for flows with a large head drop and a low flow rate. It is designed to directly charge 12v 24v or 48v batteries or connect directly to a grid-tied inverter. A good choice for off-grid installations where the turbine is within 100ft (30meters) of the battery bank or a grid-tied installation where the turbine is less than 2000ft away from inverter location. If off-grid, turbine will Require a load dump charge controller to protect the battery bank. This turbine can reach power output of up to 1500 watts.
- PowerSpout PLT with Crowbar. This turbine not only comes with all the features of the PowerSpout PLT, but also includes a fitted overvolts crowbar that will drop voltage to zero if the voltage limit is exceeded to protect the turbine. This enables you to use an Outback FM60/80 charge controller with a lower input voltage range, helping maximize power output.
- PowerSpout Turgo. The Turgo is a versatile turbine and can be used for mid range flow rates and head drops. It is a good choice for off grid applications where the the distance is between the inverter and the load is 6-30 meters (20-100 feet). Requires two transformers; one for each phase at the receiving location. This turbine can reach a power output of up to 1500 watts.
- PowerSpout Turgo with Crowbar. This turbine not only comes with all the features of the PowerSpout TRG, but also includes a fitted overvolts crowbar that will drop voltage to zero if the voltage limit is exceeded to protect the turbine. This enables you to use an Outback FM60/80 charge controller with a lower input voltage range, helping maximize power output.
- PowerSpout LH = Low Head. This means it is designed for a stream with low water height but a high flow rate. It can produce a power output of 1500 watts.
Aurora Power & Design professionally installs hydro power systems throughout the western United States. If you would like an estimate for professional installation please contact us
Cut away cad models of turbine and generator:
LH PowerSpout in action
Assembled guide vane assembly
Stainless steel impeller
The generator's three phase rotor
Draft tube style installation.
Flume style installation.
Flume style installation of multiple turbines.
Video Demonstration of LH Turbine (flash plugin required):